Monday, February 25, 2013

Champagne wa Koi no Biyaku Opinion

Champagne wa Koi no Biyaku Manga Opinion Review


This is a short Harlequin Manga based off a novel. It is one of my very favorite Romance manga. I tend to really like the Harlequin Manga with only a few exceptions. Josei, for the most part, spares me the high school love drama which I dislike the most. That type is usually prevalent in Shoujo Romance manga.

In this story the main girl got on my nerves a few times but over all Rebecca was not bad. She was strong in many ways but also vulnerable at times. The biggest issue I had with her was at the end, she decided to marry Grey after telling him no so many times. When she said she would she said something to the affect of, "you knew that if you bought the manor house I would marry you". So to me it sounds like, though she spends a great deal of time telling him she's not after money, in the end if she didn't get what she wanted she may have declined the marriage. I want to think that maybe it was one of those cases that it was difficult to translate what she said into English and the context came off a bit wrong. The reason is she is mostly decent until then about not wanting to marry for money. Other than that though, the only thing that made me a bit unhappy was how drastically she would change from utterly weak to strong to weak. I like women who are strong in traditional type ways. In the beginning she seemed to be weak.  After all she was holding on to a complete stranger all night in her apartment that she meet at her sister's wedding. However, then she seems to hold major strength as well with her strong opinions and attitude. Then later puts herself willingly in a situation where she needs help again. Even with those flaws, her character wasn't bad over all. Plus me being a woman I tend to be more opinionated than usual about women characters.

Grey was a interesting guy. Old fashioned in some ways and not in others. He had in my opinion just the right amount of pride in himself. He was not full of himself, but he was not insecure in any way. They may not have drawn him to be quite as handsome as the main men in some other manga but he had a down to earth almost normal real guy look to him. He was on the handsome end of normal. Which I actually found refreshing. Though his looks were good, His personality was what made him so great. They portrayed the character to be a wealthy man but not stuck up. Who had confidence but was not conceited. He was smart, not easily taken advantage of, but also a caretaker and old fashioned. Its too bad more real men out there are not like him. He seems to have the type of personality that was more common for wealthy handsome men a few decades ago.

This is a short and easy to read manga. Not too time consuming just like all harlequin manga. I suggest to read the novel as well as the manga. All the harlequin manga have novels they were based on and though many of the manga are not licensed in English the novels almost always are. Sometimes it is fun to compare the manga to the novels and see what you may have done differently in the manga if it was your choice.  It was a short manga and it was a good one so I really don't have much I can get extremely opinionated about. However, I do suggest that you read it. I think it is a good one and definitely worth the short time it takes to read and if you enjoy it you should buy the novel at least to show your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment