Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Sengoku Danshi Hana no Ran Opinion

Sengoku Danshi Hana no Ran Manga Opinion


Sengoku Danshi Hana no Ran is a great historical romance. This manga is a bit more should than what I have really been into lately. However, that didn't deter me at all from truly enjoying all that I have had the privilege of reading so far. 

I love Ran in this story. He is a samurai that came from the past to the future through a portal created by Hana's grandfather along with his brothers and Nobunaga. Though all of them are colorful characters. He is not only drawn to look really good but he has a interesting personality and philosophy on life. It is fun for me to see how his philosophies and life changes while living with Hana and her family. 

Nobunaga is a interesting character too in this manga. I went into the manga with some idea about who Nobunaga was and some preconceptions based on other manga's I had read. All of my preconceptions were completely off base for the Nobunaga in this manga. Yet it is supposed to be the same man. This man surprisingly is curious and adapts to the switching of the era's extremely well as opposed to Ran. He still has a commanding presence but the rest of what I thought Nobunaga would be like was wrong.

I don't really dislike anything about this manga yet. However, there is a few things that slightly bother me. Just to be clear this is a borderline spoiler on a couple small things in the early part of the manga. If you don't want to hear it skip to the next paragraph after the one below this.

The only real issue I have with this manga is that Hana seems to still have major feelings for her previous boyfriend who screwed her over. I understand that it is common with people who have low self esteem. I have been in similar situations where I was still in love with someone who hurt me deeply. But understanding and liking it are two different matters. I cannot stand when a good man is right next to her giving her all this emotional support and then she can't control her feelings toward her previous boyfriend who really was self centered. He may have liked her, but he betrayed her and is so full of himself at times, I just don't understand why she would feel anything for him after he screwed her and her family over. That is my biggest issue. My second issue is a problem I have about Hana's trauma  This is kinda a nit picky issue and doesn't really matter to me like that. I have read 16 chapters and we are still in the dark about everything beyond her trauma made her frightened of men, quit perusing her dreams, and wearing baggy clothes and glasses. Her ordeal must have been really severe. Though in my mind, I cannot understand why the creator finds it is essential to keep what happened a secret for this long. I can understand for plot development not showing the bad man yet. But I just don't understand why the trauma that made her act like that needs to be kept secret. 

Over all this manga is a excellent read. I would suggest it to pretty much anyone who enjoys historical romance. The creator drew the characters very well and made some of their personalities very unique. This manga creator actually has 2 manga that I am currently following. This manga is 3 volumes and completed in Japan the newest manga she is currently working on is the one I am reading along side this one. I find her work to be extremely interesting. Sengoku Danshi Hana no Ran is not licensed in English yet. But I hope that it becomes one of the ones that gets picked up.

No comments:

Post a Comment