Monday, March 11, 2013

Dendrobates Opinion

Dendrobates Manga Opinion Review


Okay first I would like to start off with the fact that I absolutely hate guns in real life. I could go into my reasons now but that would not be about the manga so I will spare you my thoughts on that issue for now. If you are interested ask sometime and I would be happy to tell you why. So you may be asking why I decided to pick up a manga that is so obviously gun related. Well its simple really, as I said before I have been attempting to read manga and manhwa I would normally pass over because... well.... I have read a lot already and I am running out of ones I can read that fit every single one of my picky criteria. I found some good ones recently, I would have never picked up if I didn't relax my criteria.  This one is the result of me trying one that I was sure I would hate, Just to give it a shot. So to make a long story short. Though I dislike guns, the main character of this story grew on me. So here I am writing my opinion.

This manga is only 6 volumes long and is completed already in Japan. So it is not a terribly long manga but not a 1 volume one either. I have only been able to read up to the first couple chapters of volume 3 so this opinion is based on what I have been able to read so far. Ill start first with the things I think are done well and then I will move on to my personal issues with the manga and what could have been improved or different.

The author and artist did a excellent job with the main character Sengawa. It is apparent to me that they made this character and  then built the story around him and his personality. He is a interesting guy because although he uses guns he is not the cowardly type that kills from far off to avoid the possibility of getting hurt. He fights and is strong in addition to his guns. He has a complicated personality and past too. He hides his strength and even his own personality around those in the police department. He has a co worker he seems to like at least a little. But he isn't really close to anyone. He is really handsome when you see him outside of his job at the police department but he covers it with glasses and a weird office worker hair style at work. He seems to have a strong sense of justice but he claims he is just a killer. Which I guess is true in a way. I am not sure what to make of him exactly, however, that is part of his appeal. I want to know more.

Although some people may find it a bit cliche reading about a vigilante cop, don't let that deter you from checking this story out. I think they did a good job with this one not making it like the movies and books that are out already. The main character doesn't give off the same feeling as the ones in those books and movies. He is actually quite interesting. Sengawa's reasons, personality, and way of doing things is different than in many of the movies and books. If you don't like this story it most likely would not be because of those reasons.

Although the story is still a little less than 1/2 way through. There really hasn't been much in the way of plot development. The main focus is the main character and his different Jobs he takes against the criminals of the city who get away with their crimes and the police cannot solve the problem. The issue with that is that there is still not any mention of a reason that he is in Japan or any type of deep story line or reason to tie it all together. The separate instances get resolved and the manga goes onto a new mini story with nothing to tie them together really except that they are all criminals and that a "client" asked Sengawa to take care of it or he takes notice for some reason. In a way I guess that is okay. But I hope for a more deep story.

If soon there is a deep plot that starts then it may become a manga I can really say was excellent but as of now, I can only give it like a 6 out of 10 score. That is just a personal score. However, I will say, this story does have good potential. I think some people would really enjoy it. I enjoy learning about the main character and I do expect it will start to have more plot soon. I will be able to rate it better at that point. I hope the plot deepens because it would be a waste if Sengawa was part of a story that was not good enough for his character. So I suggest this story to people who are not very young and people who don't mind some violence. Though at this point it is not one I can rave about, it is a good read and it takes a lot to get me to not hate a story with a lot of gun use in it, that said try it out and see for yourself if it sounds interesting. I will update my review when I get to finish the story.  So that I can give you my opinion of the story as a whole. Thanks for reading my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment