Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Ookami-heika no Hanayome Opinion

Ookami-heika no Hanayome Manga Opinion Review

Also Called: The Wolf King's Bride



This manga is cute in my opinion. Its light. Not the type I usually read. But well done none the less. It is definitely the best shoujo I have read in a while. I don't usually read shoujo romance. So you have to know that this one is good.

This manga's plot is interesting enough. The king hires Yuurin to be his fake consort. I think there is probably some history that Yuurin forgot or there is something that caught the wolf kings eye before she came to the castle originally. But that is all speculation. The wolf king is supposed to be ruthless and she is frightened of him. So he claims it is all an act and acts cute around her to make her feel comfortable. However, as they grow closer maybe he won't have to only be cute around her. Yuurin is always getting into trouble and is in peril because of something or another and he always helps her. Over all I find it a interesting read. I like historical type books. I like Ruler/Commoner romances and I like strong leads guys. This one has all that. 

Yuurin is also strong in some ways... though she does act young a lot so she gets on my nerves at times. She is the girl who was asked to pretend to be the wolf king's bride. I like that she is true to herself. However my biggest issue is that even throughout many chapters she is still scared of the wolf king when he is ruthless and dominating which is part of his true personality. Its not like he is doing anything to hurt her, in fact she gets scared of him when he is protecting her which is ridiculous in my opinion. She thinks she is falling for him but she won't accept part of who he really is... though since it is a romance, I am sure it will eventually change to be truly mutual and accepting.

The romance is real light. The type of romance they have is suitable to any audience. It is at times annoying to me because the wolf king is handsome and has the right to have multiple consorts but he just sticks to her and he is older and more mature. So I don't really get his reasoning. I understand he doesn't want to marry any of the women who seem to be forcing themselves upon him or their fathers forcing them upon him for political gain or to gain his favor in whatever way, however he could pick another wife that has no background with the palace one that is more mature. I don't understand why he doesn't at this point. This is just my opinion but the sexual tension must be pretty high for him. He must like to punish himself...lol. Sorry I was joking a bit there... but in all seriousness. It is cute. Not a full on romance. Even when they become romantically involved, if that really happens, I assume we won't be seeing much more than kissing. That is just speculation. However, usually in stories that they eventually do more there is more progression by now in the story line towards that. 

I don't really have much to rave about this one. I think it is a good read. One in which all ages can read not just older people. It doesn't have tons of blood or tons of adult situations. I think it is more geared to people who like shoujo manga but that doesn't mean people who like Josei wouldn't like It. I am mostly a Josei reader when it comes to women geared comics and I still am a strong follower of this one. So check it out if you get a chance. 

1 comment:

  1. I like it and I am so angry (ironically) now. I can't read it in Japanese to know what would happen after finishing vol.6 which is the last one to be translated in my country. Sign... Like a purnish I have to bear, waiting time to read it transtated is too long. Well. If only I didn't read it because I really like this couple. They are what my gout requires.

    ReplyDelete