Friday, March 8, 2013

Gangsta Opinion

Gangsta Manga Opinion Review

Gangsta was one of the manga that I passed over as soon as I read the name assuming that it was not one that I would find interesting. It wasn't until I watched a MMV that I actually decided to look more into it. I was surprised that the story was not lacking in any way and the characters had a lot of personality and depth to them. It was not at all like my preconceptions of it. So, I ended up falling in love with a story I was sure was not worth reading. I am now anxiously awaiting each release and hope for a time that I can buy English copies of the manga and art. 

In this story the gangsters mirror more of the organized crime mafia gangsters in the way they run their organizations / families and the type of pull they have over the city and police department. The major difference is the setting. Though the city has a police department and the place is called a city. It is more of a city of banished and unwanted. It is run completely by the crime families. Twilights and criminals and excessively poor people live there. Its basically a place outside the law. Twilights are the main issue of the story so far. Twilights are pretty much stuck living there, otherwise they would be killed. Even the city they are allowed in is full of prejudice against their kind. I won't talk too much about the things you learn in the story about twilights. They don't look different than normal people and they have feelings just the same. It is truly sad and unjust how they are treated and some of their stories make me cry.

Every Character in this story is brought to life by the author. They are extremely well drawn and written. The story line keeps readers interested. You can tell the creator spent a lot of time doing their homework and coming up with the backgrounds, situations and personalities for the story. Every time a part of the story illuminates something about the characters it hints that there is more to it than that and leaves you guessing.

My favorite character is Nick. He is a Twilight and he is I think more human than Many of the regular people in this story by my opinion. It is really rare to read about a Deaf main character. I like that rareness. He is not left crippled by it though and has a very interesting personality. He has a good heart. He has been hurt repeatedly. I felt sorry for him for all the things he went through especially as a child. However even now, even with his supposed friend, he still seems to be suffering, but he still smiles and does his best and Jokes. He is not only physically strong but he is not mentally weak either. He sometimes seems like he is ready for it to all end, but although I do not know this for sure, I see things changing for him. I personally like Alex better as his girl than Warricks woman. However, Nick is super loyal to Warrick so I don't know how it would happen. He is cute in his own way. He helps people of his own volition. Although he is violent he is a good guy.

Alex is a great character. She is very mysterious since we are only now seeing small parts of who she was before she was made a prostitute (she lost her memories because of a drug that was given to make the prostitutes more docile). She annoys me a bit with that I am scared of Nick stuff. She seemed to like him the most at first but then he started ignoring her more and then she started finding him scary after she saw him fight. She is scared of Twilights. I don't understand this. Perhaps it is because of her past life which is still unclear to herself and the readers. Warrick seems to be the one who is close to her now. Though he seems self serving and spoiled as well as someone who is not showing his true colors and intentions. I see him as the more dangerous of the 2 if it is between him and Nick. Warrick is a regular guy though and not a twilight.

Warrick is a guy I am not too fond of. He was not bad at all in the beginning. I actually liked him. However as the story wears on I start to see things that I don't really like about him and mysterious things said and done that make me think he might not be a good guy at all. I hope that my intuition about it is wrong but I think he is selfish and blames nick for his father and families deaths when they were the ones hurting him and he was just trying to help him as a twilight mercenary that was all he knew. Nick obviously cared for him deeply as a friend. However, warrick's true feelings though there are some that have come to light so far are still a mystery. I think nick knows though and accepts it. I cannot wait to get the whole story between the 2 and find out what Warricks true motives and thoughts are.

This book is violent so if you don't want to read anything violent at all then this is not for you. However, it is really well done. I would suggest it to anyone who can handle a little violence and adult situations. It is a excellent read.

Below is a good MMV. If you came from my tumblr account then you have already seen it.

No comments:

Post a Comment